The breath-taking arrays of colors, designs and motifs available in wallpapers nowadays make them the obvious choice for homeowners looking to add a touch of glamour and quality to their walls. Choosing the right wallpaper is significant, because it defines the look and feel you would like to give to a room in particular and your home in general. There are thousands of wallpapers to choose from, right from the choice of material to myriads of colors, and varying designs and patterns. So, how does one go about making the right choice?
Some important points to bear in mind while choosing your wallpaper:
i. Size of the room. The right wallpaper can make your room appear more spacious than it is. If you want a smaller room to look larger, pick cool colors such as light greys, blues or greens with smaller blending patterns. Such wallpapers also give a cool appearance and are great in warmer climates. You may add height to a room by using a wallpaper that has vertical stripes.
ii. Style and Requirement. Accentuate what purpose your room serves by picking a wallpaper that complements what the room is used for. A child’s room could do well with large bold prints and bright colours, while it is best to remain conservative for a formal area, lending it both style and elegance.
iii. Camouflage for an imperfect surface. Wallpapers are an ideal and affordable option to cover up an imperfect surface in your home that might have cost you several hundreds of dollars to repair. Use a patterned or textured wallpaper to do this.
iv. Room Lighting. The available natural or artificial lighting available in the room is an important consideration. Rooms that have inadequate light, such as North-facing rooms could do well with patterns that reflect light around, such as those using metallic colors and inks. Mood lighting in the room that accentuates one wall is also a great opportunity to flaunt the perfect wallpaper.
v. Have a recurrent theme that connects your home. Well placed wallpapers that are of similar pattern or complementary to one another can lend cohesiveness and continuity to a room or home of varying room sizes or levels.
Whatever may be the design or look that you intend to go for, it is vital to select a paper with a high-quality finish and the correct tone of ink and print marks to achieve a classy look for your home. Bright bold colours and patterns can add vitality and character to an otherwise dull room. Picture the look of your room, and understand what you want your wallpaper to do; whether it is to be the focal point in the room or simply a balancing factor in a room with impressive furniture. Plan the texture and colors of your curtains in advance, so that they do not clash with your wallpaper and interfere with the overall look that you wanted to achieve.
A short brief about the different kinds of wallpapers in terms of look and design:
· Classic Wallpaper: Muted colors, traditional designs
· Floral Wallpaper: Wallpapers with floral or plant based designs
· Oriental Wallpaper: Featuring Chinese influence and colors such as red and gold
· Retro Wallpaper: Designs dating back to the English homes of the 1950s
· Modern or Abstract Wallpaper: Having modern art or abstract designs
· Kid’s Room Wallpaper: Having bright colors and/ or cartoon characters
· 3D Wallpaper: Wallpapers that give a 3D effect such as a brick wall or stone background
Customized and special 3D wallpapers have gained popularity in recent years. These wallpapers add an extra dimension to the surface and are these days available in realistic backdrops featuring stunning scenery and visuals. Be it an abstract design, a religious motif or a sweeping panorama, these wallpapers have a dramatic effect and tends to hog the entire attention in the room. A word of caution here though; a very bold 3D wallpaper or enhanced image may not go very well with the rest of the room when the furniture in the room changes or there is a change in the room’s purpose.
Steps to follow in ensuring that your wallpaper is installed perfectly:
1) Calculate the wall space correctly. Measure walls right from floor to floor, allowing for corners and wastage. Deduct for windows and doors correctly, thus helping you order the right quantity. Order a little extra to ensure that you do not run out of roll in an eventuality.
2) Pick the right kind of wallpaper. Vinyl wallpapers come in a great variety of designs, are easy to clean and well suited to most areas. One step ahead are duplex wallpapers which are 2 sheets of paper bonded or laminated together. There is also flocked wallpaper, that closely mimics textiles such as velvet. An environment friendly, but difficult to clean option is Grasscloth Wallpaper that is made entirely of natural grasses woven together.
3) Have a trial day. Many homeowners are unsure about whether the wallpaper they select is the right one. The best thing to do in such a case is to request the shopkeeper for a strip and hang it along a wall for a couple of days and satisfy yourself after seeing how the light falls on it and the overall look it gives to the room. The extra effort and time taken is definitely worth it.
Wallpapers have a number of benefits. A wallpaper can help your home stand out and be a style statement. A cheerful wallpaper pattern can help lift the mood on a dull day. Cover that slightly ungainly surface with a textured strip to arrive at a simple cost-effective solution for a clean looking surface. Wallpapers are easy to change and one can do so without denting a huge hole in the pocket. The staggering range available across showrooms today ensures the availability of choices required to satisfy the taste of every discerning homeowner. Add a an element of texture, a dash of color, or the beauty of a floral to create that personalized, loved and special space that you call home.